View Single Post
Old 28-02-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by drheshamali View Post
Is this a problem anyone else has experienced? What troubleshooting should I go through?
The short answer is "yes"! It's a common complaint and not just on the Evo. The problem is that the bleed nipple is at the bottom of the caliper so you'll never remove all the air if the caliper is left in situ. You need to remove and flip it like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
The rear brake is well known for losing its effectiveness and will benefit from periodic bleeding. That's easier said than done though as you'll have noticed that the bleed nipple is on the bottom of the caliper and so it's very nearly impossible to remove all the air with the caliper in situ. I'd recommend unbolting it and flipping it over so it sits on the top if the disc like this:

Put some masking tape on the caliper first to protect the paintwork as it will rub against the swinging arm in this position. It won't slide fully onto the disc but it's enough to hold it in the right position to bleed it properly. You can see the bleed nipple is now at the highest point.

Once properly bled, it should be firm enough to lock the rear wheel.

I wouldn't try this until you've got a new caliper bolt though, your slightly rounded one might not stand up to another removal.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...t.php?p=552311

A dealer will probably charge you an hour's labour to do it, but make sure you tell them to flip the caliper, otherwise you'll be having the same problems again in a couple of months.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote