Thread: Touring
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2019, 09:52 PM   #23
Flip

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1000 View Post
I’ll definitely do an over-landing trip at some point. Spending months or even a year or two just travelling by bike is my big dream.

Look for a book called “in search of greener grass” cant mind the author Graeme something or other. Probably the best most realistic way to go about it, highlights some of the negatives too to give you a better idea than the ‘let’s do long way round’ nonsense.

Also google mondo enduro and terra circa, they guys are proper hardcore.
I think that's the beauty of any trip- you make it what you want, as easy or as difficult, long or short etc.

Mondo Enduro and Terra Circa bring back great memories for me, they were always on really late (followed by a mad cooking program called 'Get Stuffed) watching them with my Dad when I lived at home.

They were a bunch of school teachers on DR350's who set off for a round the world trip in the days before mobile phones and sat navs filming it all on Super 8- legends!
I've met Austin Vince a few times since over the years- he's a funny bloke and worth seeking out if he's chatting about it all at one of the Motorcycle shows.

My wife bought me Elspeth Beard's book 'Lone Rider' for my Birthday last year- that's worth a read (the photos are good too), she was 23 when she set off on her BMW R60/6 (which she still owns) back in 1982 to be the first British woman to ride around the World solo, again in the days before technology and dedicated 'Adventure Bikes'.