View Single Post
Old 26-10-2021, 09:06 PM   #7
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Looking back I have in fact had this for 4 years, I collected it in September '17.
The fondly remembered Alfa was laden to the gunwales with boxes and boxes of steel and iron. She got very hot up some of the hills on the way home!

First thing was to have a bit of a mock up to see if looked like a motorcycle.

It was originally a police bike, a Norton Interpol.
The swinging arm was seized solid into the cradle, despite Jeff's valiant attempts to free it.
First job was to get Carl Harrison to push the pivot pin out with his 12 ton press and that separated two of only a very few parts still attached to something else.
Next I spun up a couple of false swinging arm bushes from Oak to mock up the rolling chassis again.

New Speedo and rev-counter arrived from Phoenix Arizona, although about 45 years old they are in perfect nick thanks to the arid desert air.

I rebuilt the forks with new stanchions and bushes, incorporating a "Covenant" conversion which crudely creates a hydraulic bump stop by shutting off the bleed valves earlier than standard, hopefully improving the damping as well.

StevieL put me onto a GRP Roadster tank for fifty quid which at that stage I hoped to use to make a mould for a CF tank.

Second dry build showed me where everything should go, helped no end by Jeff's meticulous notes on almost every component. Little pieces of cardboard and paper threaded onto bolts and studs or wired on, with super neat handwritten notes as to location and orientation.

Some cheap reject side panels were also bought for use as moulds. and I started to pave the yard!