View Single Post
Old 19-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #14
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Thanks for a magnificent effort Jez. Photographing a beam pattern is not as easy as it sounds!
I was going to try photographing the beams of all the bulbs and reflectors I have, starting with an ordinary bulb in the Bosch unit. I even made some sticks with 50mm white discs on the end, to place down the lane equidistantly, and then..... Well maybe one day? (or night.)

You seem to have a useful hotspot towards the left on dip, and a nice clean cut off, but I can't see a step in the picture due to the building (not a criticism of your photo, you don't have a beam studio at your disposal).
The first 4 metres seem to be in the dark, but probably look that way due to the intense light ahead. The bin is about 15 metres away if those are 6ft fence panels.

High beam is showing a good penetrative hotspot of white light and true colours showing on the plant in the foreground.
The hotspot seems to still be biased to the left, but strangely the cut off is still there on the offside? This could actually be handy if you want, as I do, to maintain high beam on a dual carriageway, but not so good if you want a milliseconds extra warning of a rampant Stag emerging from the woods on the right.
I sometimes get flashed on a dual, but I just tell 'em to squint for a second, even though they can't hear me. What are they going to do? Turn round and chase me... ? I think not.

You have a massive improvement on the OEM light there Jez. Thanks for the pictures.