View Single Post
Old 17-05-2019, 06:41 PM   #2
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Hello Nikki
I'm with you on the desire to be able to see in the dark, hence developing the adapter ring.

I'm afraid I can't advise on any of those integrated LED units as I haven't tried any out. I do think it's a case of you get what you pay for though. You are rather limited to what the original output of the unit is too, to upgrade you have to replace the whole thing.
Besides I just don't like the look of them.

I think it's far better to stick with a good 7" H4 lamp and play around with bulbs.

So far I have tried the Autopal Clear Crystal unit and the Cibie H180.

Starting with traditional gas filled, filament "Hot" bulbs, you basically have a choice of Osram Nightbreaker or Phillips Extreme vision. Both work well in the above reflectors and are a massive improvement on the Bosch. I found the best combo to be the Osram bulb in the Autopal reflector/lens.

I have since experimented with various LED "bulbs" in both reflector/lens units and there is a vast improvement in the light output and colour.
At the moment I am using a 10.000 lumens one with 4 cobs and a cooling fan. It is rigged so the dip cobs are on all the time and high switches in and out giving a nice full pattern.

It really brings out the difference in the two units.
The Cibie has the most glorious high beam spread of light with a bright spot in the centre, but unfortunately the dip pattern is disappointing, being a rather amorphous blob, albeit bright. It still provokes a throttle roll off when cars approach.

The same bulb in the Autopal gives an adequate high beam. (far superior to any of the hot bulbs). The dip beam however is so confidence inspiring when faced with oncoming lights. There is a lovely finger of white light searing up the nearside beyond the oncoming lights. This vividly picks out any lane markings and clearly illuminates the nearside, enabling a near normal daytime type riding style.
When following a car the crisp cut off can be seen below the rear window, with the nearside illuminated beyond that.

My personal favourite is the Autopal because of the dip pattern. The main pattern is not too shabby and improves every time I upgrade the bulb, but the Cibie does have a better main beam, although frustrating to have to throttle back and grope every time someone comes the other way.
Next step is to try the 48,000 lumens 4 cob bulb I have on the shelf.... Some things you have to build up to, to appreciate..

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 17-05-2019 at 08:24 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote