View Single Post
Old 21-04-2014, 08:14 PM   #24
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
My cases looked every bit as tight as that. And with the same nasty hollow just waiting for the chain to bunch up into.
Makes you shudder to think of it, eh ?
I was seriously surprised when my current saver fitted so well, and the chain doesn't rub at all when the wheel is turned by hand.
When I come down to the bike shed show Dirty, you can try mine for size in your cases if you like.
I might even make a copy in stainless (mine's plain steel) so perhaps I could make two if it'll fit your cases too.

I gave much thought to fitting a thinner saver in there, including a two-part design and various other crafty schemes, including a couple of prototypes (one of which I'll also bring along, just for interest's sake), but I never came up with anything satisfactory.
Lately I've been wondering how well a thin one would work if you could fill the space behind it with some kind of epoxy resin or somesuch....fixed to the saver but loose in the cases (via pva release agent on the cases before smearing the epoxy in there and seriously hoping that it didn't stick).
I don't believe that the hammer from the broken chain is the main problem, but more that the chain can lift off the sprocket, bunch up and jam. So maybe such a scheme would be adequate.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote