View Single Post
Old 24-12-2018, 08:29 PM   #11
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
I don't know whether you could visually detect a bend but I bought a cheap endoscope from Lidl last year, which allows you to look inside the motor. I'd guess if you pushed the camera down the plug'ole, you'd be able to see if there was any evidence of the valves hitting the top of the piston.

Also, as there are only very weak closing springs in the valve train, you can turn the camshafts by hand (with belts removed). If you placed the cylinder at BDC and then turned the camshaft by hand, I would think a bent valve stem would be felt as an unusual tightness.

If you're worried your cams are in the wrong position, check them by setting the horizontal cylinder at TDC on the power stroke (the crankshaft mark on the drive pulley will line up with the one on the clutch cover). If you then turn the camshafts until you can insert the locking tools, you know they are in the right position. And, as utopia said, whenever you've disturbed the cams, ALWAYS turn over the motor a few times by hand to ensure everything's spinning freely.

Hope you get this sorted quickly.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote