View Single Post
Old 14-01-2020, 04:37 PM   #1080
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Managed to get back from delivering my son to uni in time to try out my blind bearing puller - what a brilliant bit of kit, both cam bearings were out inside 20 minutes with no dramas whatsoever.

huey freeman wallpaper

A few problems then showed their face:
1. Ducati do not sell the bearings separately only with the caps at c £18 each.
2. My existing bearing caps have been powder coated and I do not want to lose the look.
3 The old bearings have no discernable electrically etched markings on them.
4 Simply Bearings can supply the same size bearings ID 15mm x 35mm OD x 11mm width but only in C3 designation ( This is probably OK as C3 has a looser tolerance on the track and is for use in environments of heat and high revolutions - being at the top of the cylinder head means that C3 is almost certainly the right sort of bearing to use).
5 The SB offer (c£9 the pair) is for a nitrile sealed bearing both sides of the track, the original bearings have a seal only on the camshaft side presumably to keep an oil bath in the cap to lubricate the bearing.
6 The machining within the cap to hold the bearing is 10.25mm deep, the bearing is 11mm deep, the old bearings were only in about 6mm, although this might have had something to do with the bearings being left in during the powder coating process. So how far do I push the new bearings in?

After a bit of pondering, I bought the SB offering and I will remove the extra oil seal on the blind side of the bearing before putting them back and I will press them into their machined space until the outer track "bottoms"
That leaves me with one more issue - how to press the new bearings in without damaging the quite fragile powder coating on the outside of the cap?????

Last edited by 350TSS; 14-01-2020 at 04:41 PM..
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote