View Single Post
Old 13-01-2024, 08:07 PM   #29
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
How do you like the new Ducati font?

Paint stripping is proving extremely tedious and I'm not enjoying it!
It seems to be a bit quicker if I warm the tank up with a hot air gun first, then lard the stripper on and leave it about 15-20 minutes. It still always needs two goes to get the persistent patches. Only half way on the spare tank so far!

While the stripper is working I've managed to hoik the front wheel out and drop the fork legs.
The hybrid forks are 3.5mm shorter that the Sie ones, from top to axle centre.
So that's well within a reasonable similarity to get the new ones in the same place as the originals.
As it happens I had dropped the legs through earlier this year to get a bit more trail. It just felt so wobbly and the turn in was nervous. Probably more to do with tyre wear than anything, as that's the only thing that could have changed. I'm 7600 miles in on the tyres so no surprises, even if the tread and profile look good. Metzler Roadtec 01, they were brilliant when new. Debatable whether I re-fit them after re-lacquering the wheels?

First impressions with the forks; the speedo drive fits and seems to put the wheel in the right place with everything hard to the left as it should be. However, I would appear to be in need of a spacer on the right side of the axle. If I push the shoulder up to the wheel bearing to make everything tight, The right had end of the spindle disappears into the fork by about 8mm and then the sleeve nut bottoms out before it has reached the left leg face. An 8mm (approx) spacer on the right side would put it all right, by the looks.
Studying images of 1098 and other axles they seem to come with a large (30mm?) and small spacer, so it would seem to follow that's what I need.
I would of course be extremely grateful if anyone has an unwanted spare I could buy?

Unfortunately while the speedo gearbox fits, the original cable route is blocked by the caliper and it needs to run round below. This will need a longer speedo cable by about 4" at least!
Stumped by that at the moment, but wondering if maybe an SS rev-counter cable would be longer?
I can find various lengths of English speedo and tacho cables, but no idea if the thread on the ends will fit the speedo and gearbox? Probably not!
Club meet in the morning, so further investigations in the afternoon.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 13-01-2024 at 08:12 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote