View Single Post
Old 13-03-2020, 08:41 PM   #1
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Unpleasant jerky lurchy ride sensation

I fear Primus, my 10 1/2 year old 696 is once again punishing me for its lifestyle of year round commuting and big mileages. (Current indicated mileage 77756, though it has done around 1000 more due to the 3 times when the speedo sensor failed and didn't record every mile!)

Since Christmas, I've needed a new throttle cable (after a slightly scary ride into work when the revs started running away with me even when I closed the throttle), it had a major service (including valve clearances, belts, and also needed belt tensioning bearings replacing for the 3rd time in its life). Then on the ride home from Snells after the service, the engine warning light came on, which turned out to be due to the throttle position sensor having failed. An after market TPS was then fitted (due to the official Ducati one costing at least 4 times the price of an aftermarket one from a German company via eBay).

Two weeks of happy riding were then followed by a horrible feeling of seasickness on board. It feels like I'm lurching backwards and forwards. I must look like a dashboard nodding dog! I'm not getting smooth power delivery through to the wheels. It's a bit like the jerky feeling of trying to ride at 10 mph without holding the clutch in, but at all speeds, in all gears, at all rev ranges. The sensation is not just when I wind open the throttle, but when I'm holding it at steady throttle, or even fully off and decelerating. The indicated revs don't seem to be going up and down in line with the lurchiness.

I'm getting some vibes through my feet - I did wonder whether it might be chain & sprocket related (vibes through feet having been a symptom of a saggy baggy chain in need of replacement). While the C&S are well worn, and will need replacing next time round, I've seen worse (as have some of the UKMOCers on here who saw the state of my chain at a previous Weekender).

It misbehaved in this way for about 3 days, then behaved again for another couple of weeks, and then I had a ghastly day's commute on Wednesday with it worse than ever.

Someone Andy spoke to wondered whether could be fuelling related - maybe the fuel pump is on the way out or fuel filter is blocked? But the fact it behaves like a bucking bronco even when I'm not winding open the throttle made me query this.

The problem did not start immediately after filling up (so I don't think it's a dodgy tank of fuel). It had started before I filled up, and continued after, went a way and then came back halfway through a later tank. Normally it gets Shell ordinary, with the odd tank of Tesco or Texaco, depending on when the light comes on. It has never been happy with super unleaded.

While fuel economy hasn't been great of late, it hasn't developed the same horrible thirst as when the vacuum hose on the throttle bodies split. There is a faint whiff of petrol around the bike.

Any suggestions as to what might be going on and what can be done about it gratefully appreciated. I don't like getting my hands oily, but I'm also getting fed up with large garage bills draining my savings. My dream of getting it to 100,000 miles is starting to look more distant.

I'm starting to think I may no longer be the right owner for this particular bike, and it might be time to find it a good new home with a keen amateur mechanic who would like a cheap Monster and who would be happy to do all their own servicing & maintenance, tinkering and troubleshooting. I doubt anyone looking for a Monster on eBay would ever choose mine if there were any others out there on sale. (If it isn't the highest mileage Monster, or at least 2nd generation Monster, in the UK, I'd love to hear from whoever has a higher mileage one!) I still have, and today enjoyed riding, Secundus, my 7 year old shiny low mileage 696 - I could never be happily Monsterless, but Primus is starting to try my patience and bank balance.
MrsC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote