Thread: Snapped belt
View Single Post
Old 25-07-2022, 09:13 AM   #3
Nasher

Bike: M900
Data for those interested
The Belts were Genuine Ducati belts purchased online early last year from one of the well known Ducati independents along with new Tensioner and fixed Rollers.
The Rollers came from Stein-Dinse, but I can't remember who the Belts came from, it was an independent, not Moto-Rapido.
I must dig back through my emails.

They were the first set of Genuine belts I've brought in a while, preferring to use the Exact-fit belts normally, but I think these were on special offer. Perhaps they were old-stock?

The remaining vertical cylinder belt is really badly damaged, but when I get it off I might be able to see the manufacturing date.

Note Exact-fit specify a lower tension than Ducati, but I would have used the Ducati figure.
I use the JPDiag Belt Tension frequency measurement with a small microphone on my laptop, not a phone app.
Sadly the bike had done less than @500miles since.

NOTE:- I do obviously understand there is the chance I cocked this up and put too much tension on that belt.
I will never know.

It was collected on Friday the 15th July, and I think Temps were late 20s early 30s.
It was ridden from my place near Petersfield to just West of Henley-on-Thames, but the guy who brought it was enjoying the bike and went the long way home, I believe completing @100 miles before the bike went on to 1cyl @ 5 miles from his home.

From the discussion he and I had on the phone the bike had got far hotter than I had ever run it at.
20mins after turning it off the indicated temp on the instrument cluster was still 114deg, I'd never seen higher than 110deg when I'd ridden the bike.
Remember that's indicated temp not actual, we all know Ducati Temp gauges are used for comparison not actual temp

Watch this space.