View Single Post
Old 16-06-2022, 08:33 PM   #6
MrsC_772
Silver Member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I don't think it's even trying to turn the engine over, when I push the button to start and it has a hissy fit.

"Could be a starter relay, I'd check that before embarking on the starter motor." We tested this and it was fine when cold (Andy probed with multimeters to see if there was a voltage drop across the relay). If the relay was the problem, would we only notice a problem when it is hot?

"I'd start by having a look at the spark plugs to be see if they're nice and clean on both pots. Fairly cheap and very easy to replace, so a good pace to start." Bike was serviced less than shortly before the first tantrum, so I'd be amazed if the plugs were a problem, but we could inspect them.

"Things that are effected by heat can be coils and windings. Not sure what makes the spark on those models, coils, igniters or whatever? but the crank position sensor would be a suspect and can fail when hot." We will investigate the sensor. Wouldn't there be a problem when the engine was running if the crank position sensor was playing up, rather than run fine when it is going, but refuse to start?

"An outside contender could be plug caps or HT leads?" We can take a closer look at the plug caps and HT leads, but again, wouldn't this be more likely to provoke misfire when running? Engine is running normally enough when it gets going.

"This is a tricky one as the fault is not actually stopping the engine but rather seems to be heat from the stopped engine migrating into something that is otherwise cooled.( hence my thinking crank position sensor.)"

Going on from that my last thoughts would be a temperature sensor? (I think you have two oil temp sensors and an ambient air temp sensor, it probably isn't the latter.) How accessible are the oil temperature sensors? (Just wondering how much dismantling we'd need to do to probe these).

"Can you read any fault codes?" We don't have a DDS code reader unfortunately, and I don't recall any error codes flashing up on the clocks.
MrsC_772 is offline   Reply With Quote