View Single Post
Old 26-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #1
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Fuel tank and pump, advice needed.

My Y2K, carby M750 has a steel tank and an external, vacuum driven fuel pump.
I'm looking for a spare tank to paint, and while I'm at it I was wondering whether I could replace the vacuum fuel pump with an electric one fitted inside the tank. Just for tidiness sake and maybe improved rear cylinder cooling.
I don't want a plastic tank, for various reasons.
I believe some early injection models used steel tanks, but I don't think the later, injection-type pump will do as I suspect its overpowered for my carb engine (though maybe a control valve would sort that...? ....that would be my second question).
However, I've noticed that some Ducati SS models with carb engines have a different type of fuel pump fitted inside the tank. This pump is installed on internal clips through the filler neck rather than fitting to a circular hole on the base of the tank. According to my haynes manual early, steel tanked injection monsters used the same system and used a pump which is visually the same as the carbed SS models.

Does anyone know if a steel tank from one of the early injection monsters with this type of internal fuel pump would fit my bike, and if so, would I need to replace the pump with one rated for a carb engine...or could I fit a different control valve to the injection pump...or might the whole combo just drop straight in, even...??

Alternatively, can anyone tell me how to access Ducati parts lists/specs/assembly-drawings.

Ta, very much.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote