View Single Post
Old 04-12-2019, 06:49 PM   #29
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Robert, I'm going to have a go at answering your query, but first let me bring the thread up to date.
The MOT that followed the last one mentioned here, showed up that the rear brake problem had not completely gone away. The rolling road brake meter showed that the rear brake was hanging on a little after release. Instead of the needle dropping when the brake was released, it just slowly fell with a damped sort of action. The tester commented on this.
So. I changed the master cylinder for a new one and did a fluid change. The new master has transformed the rear brake. I should have done it in the first place when I originally ordered a new master and ended up sending it back...Mistake!!
Do not dismiss a draggy master. All appears to be working well but the slow return of the master causes a lot of problems.

So to answer your post Robert.
The ratchet like effect of not being able to turn the wheel backwards may be caused by wedge shaped pads, which in turn is caused, I believe, by a draggy master, or in your case it could be caused by foreign matter everywhere just making a nuisance of itself.

Check the pads for even front to back wear.

The calliper bracket is supposed to move in and out on the bushes about half a mm or so, ( a little more should not be a problem) that is the way in which it floats, as well as moving radially on the bushes when the suspension moves.. adjusting the torque rod ends will achieve nothing.
What you don't want is any twist in the bracket, which will allow one edge or other of the pads to lead. So get hold of the calliper and try to wring it on it's bushes, there should be no play in this sense.

The damage to your calliper does not appear to have been done by contact with the disc, if it was it would be even, flat and probably shiny. It would also match marks on your disc. The calliper body should clear the disc by about 2mm either side (float not withstanding).
I would suggest that the calliper damage has been caused by very hamfisted maintenance by a previous owner.. Maybe that half of the body has been gripped in a vice, or hammered when split? I think it's unlikely that the damage would have been caused by stones or whatever on both forward and rear edges of the calliper... The leading edge only, maybe, and then it would be matched by deep scores in the disc.

Can you check the calliper to disc clearance? Even with the natural float pushed towards the disc.

If the calliper is contacting the disc then there needs to be a serious investigation as to why, as something is badly out of order. A mis-placed spacer or bent bracket perhaps?

At the end of the day the noise and "hill start" effect could just be caused by dirt... At this time of year it comes with salt too, so is extra evil.
Have you tried rotating backwards after cleaning it all down?

Hope you get to the bottom of this sooner than I did.