View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 05:57 PM   #23
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Glad I'm not the only one with rear brake problems. Also glad that this thread is being sensibly picked up and hope that folk will be inspired to give thier rear brakes a little service.
It wouldn't be too much of an exaggeration to say it might even save a life.

Utopia, I wonder if the heat conductive properties of Carbon Fibre has anything to do with your disc warming up...It's normally bolted to a large three spoke alloy heat sink....No idea if your wheel has a metal hub or insert of some kind?

Very interested to see what you can find out about the backing plates..As mentioned, Luke found them absent on his parts list for the 2000 M900Sie, but that doesn't mean to say that Brembo didn't supply pads with backing plates at the time.
I think they were fitted to cars to prevent squeal?

I am also starting to have grave doubts about Coppaslip after a lifetime of useing it...Talking to my Dad about it, he said it was probably better to leave everything dry to let the dust fall off. I might just wash it all off when the Graphite grease arrives for the bush.

I plumped for Graphite grease for the bush in the end, but the choice is quite bewildering. It is blended with Lithium, Molybdenum Disulphide, Copper and even Calcium!! Not knowing which would have any particular advantage in my application I went for a basic Graphite grease. I think frequent grease changes are going to be the key anyway.

I am thinking in terms of about a 2000mile service interval, given that the previous bush only lasted 6000miles I am sure non-floaters would go longer and overhead mounted callipers, longer still.

The fixed, inner, "Top hat" parts of the bush are steel. The bush pressed into the bracket is a split steel tube with a coating of a brassey/bronze type material on the last new bush (now the old bush!) the newest bush has a dark charcoal or Graphite coloured coating...I wondered if it might be Teflon?

Thanks for your comment on the seat...It gave me a very warm feeling to see it used again.