View Single Post
Old 08-08-2016, 10:41 AM   #21
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Hmmm.
To be honest, my (non-floating) rear disc has been getting rather warmer than it should for quite a while now.
I regularly check that there is free play, even when "warm", and all seems fine there, but I'm starting to think that I should be more stringent and get to the bottom of it as a matter of urgency.
Nottsbiker's report of a seized caliper shearing the bolts and dumping the caliper into the wheel is making me rather nervous .. particularly now that said rear wheel is a £1k carbon jobbie.
All has been cleaned a couple of times and the pistons retract easily.
I'm thinking that increasing the free play is a next step, followed by new seals to ensure that they have enough elasticity to fully retract the pistons.
I will report back in due course.

I will investigate the backing plates further too.
They were fitted to the pads which came with my yr2000 750 which I bought at 2,000 miles old.
I'm pretty confident that the pads had not been changed from new.
I replaced them eventually at maybe 14,000 miles-ish.
They had worn to wafer thin but had not yet touched metal anywhere .. exactly the same both sides and even thickness (thinness) all over. (yes, I know !)
This kinda gave me confidence that the "lob-sided" backing plates were probably doing a decent job.
I hadn't seen them before, so I was curious.
Maybe an email to Brembo is in order.
I will also get a photo at some stage (I need to fit new seals anyway, so I'll be in there) and then maybe start a thread to see if other forum members know anything about them.

I'm never sure about copperslip, for the very reason you describe.
Last time I did use a tiny amount on the front pads .. but little more than a trace, and just dabbed it on the circular "witness marks" left by the pistons on the back of the used pads.
I'm still not sure about it though.

I'm a big fan of black, molybdenum disulphide grease (for the bush, and general stuff .. not pads obviously, dear other readers).

Hopefully, you've cured the root cause of the problem, BUT its not a certainty.
I'd recommend that you inspect it frequently in the future .. but I'd be wasting my breath because I'm certain that you're already well primed there.

What's the bush made of ?

Cool about the seat.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote