View Single Post
Old 10-07-2021, 03:01 PM   #8
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Hello and welcome Jason.

Congratulations on your purchase, an extremely nice first bike.

I think that's the most original early M600 I have seen, certainly in that good condition anyway.

It looks absolutely spot on original. There are only two items I would question, well three if you count the cable ties on the frame.
It has a red tank/frame rubber which I have not noticed on a Monster before. Maybe someone has painted it?
It also has the carb heater pipes coming up from the front of the engine. It's unusual to see these fitted without an oil cooler, but I believe there was a kit to do so. Whether or not this was fitted from the factory or retro fitted will probably remain a mystery?
You will probably find a tap in one of the lines somewhere up under the front of the frame.
When the tap lever is pointing in line with the pipe it will allow engine oil into galleries in the carbs and in theory warm them a little bit to offset the effects of carb icing in cool damp conditions.
For the most part you will want the lever at right angles to the pipe to shut off the oil, but September onwards turn it on.

Nice find.