View Single Post
Old 15-04-2017, 12:10 PM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
That's probably a good idea for the carb bikes, my thinking is that for the inj bikes it's best to keep them wet (pump, fuel rail, injectors etc) and prime them, bung in some inj. cleaner and start up every so often, get them fully warmed up. I've never bothered draining the tanks on mine completely during winter lay ups but try to keep the amount of fuel low. That may not help the water absorption issue as there are some theories that a full tank is better. Still it works for me, but I may pull the tank and drain it sometime, just to see if there is some water.

I did have a some cause for concern a few years back when a colleague of mine had the tank on his '01 748 which had been stood some time, start pissing fuel everywhere. When we looked it was only the paint keeping the fuel in, some places had rusted right through. At that point I panicked and pulled my 748 tank and drained it out but it was clean inside and no rust whatsoever but there was a bit of water but no damage. I've seen an S4 tank completely rusted too to the point that it was unusable, but last time I looked mine was fine. I think the protective treatment they put in some tanks is hit and miss or maybe none at all in some cases. Some have problems, most others don't.

I think it's standing that's the main problem when the water separates out and settles at the bottom of the tank or float bowls.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote