View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 04:27 PM   #2
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Jack recommends the Shindengen SH847. Which are hard-to-obtain and expensive. Both the SH775 and SH821, SH879 are series R/Rs like the SH847. The SH775 is known to have a problem regulating on very-high revving bikes (over 12,000 RPM). But has been fitted as standard equipment to many (including some Ducatis, I believe).

I bought a couple of SH821AA's on Evil Bay; one from a 2015 Yamaha XSR700 with less <4K miles, and one from a 2019 Hypermotard 950 with 950 miles. The Yammy one cost 30 quid, the Duke one 40. There's no way to tell them apart (arrived in the same package), so I don't know which one is which/which one I fitted to the bike, lol...

The Triumph link cable is sub-$10 US. In the US. By the time you've shipped it/paid duty etc, it'll cost about the same as buying one in the UK (to say nothing of, it will clear customs and then sit in an airport for a month right now before it going anywhere. Ask me how I know...)

The UK one will set you back between 20-30 quid. Or 37 euros. And as much as it smarts to pay as much for the cable than the R/R, it's still cheaper than buying the connectors (two Furukawa connectors will set you back close to 20 quid on their own), cable, crimping tool and building one yourself.

So, I was all set. What could possibly go wrong?

LOL.

Well, the S4 puts the voltage regulator under the seat. Which is reckoned to be at least part of the problem for the SCR shunts; they get hot anyway, and there's precious little airflow under there... (You'd think the simple fact that 75% of the volume of the regulator is FRICKING HEAT SINK FINS would be some kind of a clue, but that doesn't seem to have registered at Ducati).

Although the SH821 is about the same size of the original regulator (if rotated 90 degrees, and ignoring the connectors), the limited space on top of the oil/air separator prevents you from fitting it in the original orientation.

Like this:

compared to this:

But you can turn it 180 degrees and use a single bolt - and the Triumph link cable is still long enough to (just about) make it work.

Until you go to re-fit the seat, that is... The Furukawa connectors on the link cable want to live where the divider between the toolbox is on the bottom of the seat pan.

I'm kind of loath to start modifying stock parts that aren't readily replaceable - just one of my foibles....
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote