View Single Post
Old 06-06-2020, 10:37 AM   #1
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Carbon fibre brake tie rod.

OK all you technically minded people out there please tell me what you know. My dilemma is, I have a rear floating caliper arrangement aka 900ss superlight, M900Sie etc, and at present I use the standard Ducati aluminium (7075 or similar I guess) tie rod with male threaded rose joints + locknuts. However this lot weighs a ton, so some form of carbon fibre arrangement would seem the obvious way forward to shred a bit of weight. The most obvious way forward would be to attach one of the rose joints directly to one end and then have a coupling to the other to give a degree of adjustment at the other, but and its a crucial but how do you join metal joints to carbon effectively enough to take the braking force? would an external thread on carbon rod plus an adhesive be enough? Or perhaps use carbon tubing with an internal thread, which ever version it seems to me that the joint is going to be the weakest link. Another alternative would be to aim for a fixed length version with the rose joint part encapsulated in carbon so you would then be joining carbon to carbon. This idea is mainly to flex the old grey matter, while I go about shedding a few grams here & there but I'm running out of options. Bitza.

Last edited by Bitza; 06-06-2020 at 03:37 PM..
Bitza is offline   Reply With Quote