View Single Post
Old 24-06-2019, 07:41 PM   #14
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I solve a lot of problems with woodwork, as you probably know. In fact I even work metal with woodwork tools.

So my approach would be to turn up a lump of wood as close as possible to the internal diameter of the sleeve, and push the sleeve over it, to hold the sleeve. Further lumps of suitable wood could be screwed on appropriately to hold the whole ensemble in a vice.
Tape could hold the sleeve onto the wooden mandrel.
Come to think of it, it might even be possible to part the sleeve off with a lathe if the sleeve were securely held on the wooden mandrel with suitable centres?

My first thoughts were to use a marking gauge off the end of the sleeve to ensure a nice even and square cut, I then thought that as the sleeve is only 0.5mm thick, that possibly a very sharp marking gauge might even go some way to cutting? Maybe a custom made gauge with a tungsten cutter installed? (Tungsten tipped glass cutter?)

Ha ha.. While I was posting Oz was thinking the same thing with a wooden buck...

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 24-06-2019 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: Great minds think alike..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote