Thread: M750 project
View Single Post
Old 14-12-2011, 02:31 AM   #30
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Dunno.
Can't look at it long enough to make my mind up cos its got open belts and they make me whince.
But probably not...I think Sam's pics look about right in general, but needs the early part of the taper replacing with straight pipe, and just possibly an inch losing from the overall length too.....maybe.
Don't like the stubby fat can on the black bike, and the system is too low slung and doesn't follow the lines of the bike very well.......all imho.

My current guess at the mysteries of exhaust design suggests that a longer system gives better mid and low range performance, and for that reason, coupled with my aforementioned reluctance to lug two cans around, my thinking is moving towards a single, hi-level can, 2-1 system.
My 750 certainly seemed more tractable when I put the hi-level cans and extension pipes on.
If your plans aren't set in stone yet, there's another option to conjure with, maybe.
But the mid slung, single tapered can look is classic.

I also wonder whether a narrow, tapered single can could provide enough silencing capacity, if it has to do the work of two cans....and any retrofitted baffles to quieten it would further increase the pressure loading on the can.

But a single can system must surely be a great way of losing a big chunk of weight.....not only do you lose one complete can, but you only have to buy one can too, so you can justify spending out for a really lightweight one, with ti internals etc.

I need to buy a welder, and learn to use it, don't I....?
.....and thus, I'm very interested to see what you come up with.

Nice job, so far.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote