View Single Post
Old 01-08-2020, 04:57 PM   #4
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Thanks for your responses so far.
My thinking as to the cause of the problem was also along similar lines to your suggestions.

I tried winding the flash speed back up but it seemed to make no difference to the brightness of the warning light.
In fact I wound it between max and min flash speeds and could detect no change in warning light brightness.

I have yet to fully digest the nature of the circuitry and also the likely effect of messing with the wattage of the indicator bulb.

However a cursory glance at the wiring diagram would suggest that current needs to flow in each direction through the warning light according to which side (left/right) is flashing .. so yes (or do I mean no) it would seem that an led warning light will not work due to it being uni-directional.

I have briefly considered an audible warning device but yes it would be annoying, no it might not be loud enough and also it doesn't fit with my minimalist design philosophy.
My memory isn't so bad that a decent, bright warning light and a bit of focus shouldn't be enough.

Looks like the led warning light idea is a non-starter though .. so you've saved me unnecessary time and expense there.
I'm still wondering if a higher wattage conventional bulb might be worth trying. That might be just because my grasp of the situation is vague though.

ps. the original bulb is a type T5 (also designated 286) and is marked 12V 3n OS ..... correction, the marking is actually 12 / 3n OS
I have no idea what the 3n OS bit means.

Last edited by utopia; 01-08-2020 at 05:41 PM..
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote