View Single Post
Old 22-09-2021, 05:45 PM   #1334
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Tomorrow took a bit longer than next day as a dose of diarrhea kept me close to the bog rather than in the garage. It was not a case of the bottom falling out of my world but rather..........................................?? ??
Today was I hope constructive, I found the reason for the rev counter not working, the female connector in the 20 way connector to the Ignitech unit was not engaged properly and when the male bit was pressed home the female bit retreated. Operator error as I fitted the female bit.
I decided to test all the connections/ inputs and outputs to the Ignitech unit, this involved making up multiple jumper leads between the two parts of the connector so that I could actually get a test meter onto the various input/ output posts. With a 20 way connector the posts are too close together to just push a female onto the male as there is a danger of shorting when trying to attach crocodile clips or put probes on. This took a fair while but the good news was that each terminal post on the Ignitech unit seemed to react the way it should.
The only thing left was the supply voltage. The circuit is battery - ignition switch - fuse box - terminal box - ignitech unit. The battery was showing 13.2v as was either side of the ignition switch, the output terminal from the fuse box and from the terminal box. The wire leading into the Ignitech unit was showing only 8 to 9 volts. This input cable is new, has one soldered join, mechanically supported by heat shrink and whilst thin wall insulated is rated at 11 amps. It is about 300mm long. I suspect a dry joint at the join is the culprit. A further operator error - doh!!!!
At this point I had two options, dismantle about 40% of all the wiring running around the head stock to take out the offending wire or just try to run another (slightly heavier duty) cable through the sheathing around the headstock, which is what I did.
I now have battery voltage at the Ignitech input terminal post but ran out of time to test whether or not I now have sparks at the plugs.
I bet you cannot wait for the next exciting episode in this long running saga

Last edited by 350TSS; 22-09-2021 at 05:48 PM..
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote