View Single Post
Old 01-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #792
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Got on with a few things today, on the case saver I have got as far as I can without the alternator cover being fitted. I thought about having 3 fixings, including the 10mm lug at the bottom of the rear of the crankcase. Trouble is this hole is drilled 10mm and not threaded, I will have a ponder whether or not it is worth drilling and tapping the crankcase 12mm making a threaded plug with a 6mm tapped hole through the middle.

Obviously the case saver mounting lugs need tidying up and drilling.
I put the front and rear calipers back together with titanium bolts, banjo bolts and new seals. I will have to see if I can find/source some titanium bleed nipples, failing that it is into the acid bath and a dip in the electrolyte to zinc plate them.

I also spent some time attaching the mould dividers to the patterns for the flyscreen, the rear hugger and the Ignitech enclosure. The patterns have all had at least 5 coats of release agent. To attach the dividers one has to hot melt glue some rigid foam to the divider and to the pattern itself. This took a long time as the glue was very reluctant to grip the release agent and the contour of the pattern meant that the foam only really fitted where it touched. Any gaps between the divider and the pattern then have to be filled with wax so that the gel coat for the mould doesn’t migrate under the divider. When the wax is at the right temperature it works very easily i.e. after you have softened it up by rolling it between your fingers. When however it has been on the pattern a few minutes it hardens up and when you try to make the edges very distinct vertical or horizontal planes the it snags and tears and then pulls away from where you want it. Tomorrow will see moulding gel coat resin applied to the patterns
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote