Thread: Draining Carbs
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2020, 02:12 PM   #9
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I'm going to throw in a curved ball here.
I've been following this thread and wondered why all of a sudden the advice is to remove and strip the carbs?
Yes the op did ask how to drain the carbs because he wanted to get rid of the old petrol.. Fair enough, fresh petrol throughout will be a big help... But.
The usual advice with a 600 that won't start after a lay-up, is to prime the carbs with petrol, as the vacuum pump and tap take their time to fill the carbs and it needs a LOT of cranking. Folk usually report that the battery goes flat before it will start, due to all the cranking. This leads to unnecessary fiddling with electrics sometimes, although it can reveal a sad battery too.

Just saying.. It might be worth getting rid of as much old fuel as possible and then trying again with the carbs full of nice clean stuff.. either expect a lot of cranking to get it through or devise some means of filling the carbs before the cranking starts.

I think stripping the carbs at this stage is just going to open a whole new box of frogs that could lead to more problems.. Your call..

If it does start with full float bowls the next step would be the Italian tune up..