View Single Post
Old 06-01-2023, 01:34 PM   #31
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
An update on the heated socks I bought.
Well they came soon enough and there anything good ended.
The battery packs are not compatible with the 3.5mm plug on the socks, having two different sizes usb ports and a double ended usb lead with each size at the ends. Presumably this is the charging lead?
The "instructions" do not allude as to the purpose of the lead and do not state which port is for charging and which is for the socks.
I contacted "Heated Apparel" for info on what adapter I needed to connect socks and battery, and also clarification on the charging.
They told me I needed a 3.5mm adapter and gave no further info. I am still awaiting this info a week later. So I don't know what this 3.5mm adapter has to adapt to!!

Anyway I was keen to try them, so I chopped off the plugs and soldered a couple of spare usb charging leads on, using the larger A type plug into the battery.
Plugging the socks in instantly connected the power, while the "control" button on the batteries had no apparent function. Neither turning the power on or off, or changing the claimed three heat settings.
The very expensive Keis socks state that their's should be worn over a normal sock, although this is not mentioned with mine, I wore them over some thin socks anyway. (See notes on inner gloves further on.)
Heat is discernible with the single setting, but it feels a bit weird as the heating coils only go round the foot just inboard of my toes, so it gives a hot/cold sort of feeling. Warmish feet but cold toes!
To be honest it was better than having cold feet, as the new bike doesn't produce heat like the Monster, which I've never really suffered cold feet on.
I will probably persevere with other heated socks, but I'm not recommending these "Heated Apparel" ones at all. I'm giving them 5 stars, but not gold ones, more like rusty Sheriff's badges. I think they are sh!te, like their "customer support".

Just a note on heated grips, which have been mentioned above.
From my first experiences ever with heated grips over the last 2 or 3 weeks and about 100+ miles.
I found them a bit too warm on the lowest setting, while the backs of my hands and fingers were getting cold. However, if I wear my thin inner gloves it makes the warmth less uncomfortable on the grip side of my hands, then the inner gloves seem to let the warmth travel all round my hands and fingers and it's all rather nice and even and toasty, without being uncomfortable in any area. So that's a win and I'm pleased with that set up.

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 06-01-2023 at 04:29 PM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote