Thread: Clutch Drag…
View Single Post
Old 22-06-2023, 10:11 AM   #18
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leamreject View Post
.. and with a medium dry emery rubbed each face a few times on a flat surface, nothing significant as you would if doing brakes.
I would not.
I don't touch brake pads or clutch friction material with anything other than clutch and brake cleaner and a toothbrush.
The metal and friction material wear together to a near 100% contact area for best performance. Any abrasive interference reduces that and will require further bedding in, not to mention the possibility of embedding carborundum or other particles in the friction material.

Dust is the worst enemy of a dry clutch. Is it possible that some dust remains in the clutch from the emery operation? A wash with clutch and brake cleaner is all it should need. I give mine an annual bath.

Are the slots in the drums worn into little "serrations" where the plates sit? and do the tangs on the plates have any burrs? Those could hold the plates a bit, or tip them, as they will almost certainly have gone back in different slots.

I know nothing about slipper clutches, but I can work out that there is some sort of automatic clutch actuation involved which must have a starting point. Is there adjustment on the slipper mechanism?