Old 31-07-2021, 03:37 PM   #71
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
From http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=59386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
Don’t want to hijack an interesting thread, but topping up my 1959 Matchless G80 yesterday at my local Esso station I noticed the pumps had been re badged, normal Esso 95 ron. now contains 10% ethanol, Esso supreme, 5%....I honestly didnt perceive any difference in performance....although with an old British thumper it’s difficult to use the word “performance “ in any meaningful discussion.
Has anyone enquired whether it actually contains 10% ethanol, or less than 10%?

I thought e10 was being rolled out in September, so they may be getting the pumps ready for it.
It's actually been legal to supply fuel with a maximum 10% ethanol content since 2011 but, until now, none of the oil companies has offered this as an option.

The latest draft legislation will place a statutory requirement on the oil companies to provide E10, (with a minimum ethanol content of 5.5%), from 1 September. E10 will then become the 'standard grade' with E5 being the alternative 'protection grade'.

I checked what the present position was with the major suppliers and this is how they replied via email...

Esso said:

"The transition to E10 unleaded petrol will gradually take place during August. Some Service Stations might adapt sooner, so please look for the E10 sticker on fuel pumps and for exact dates please ask your local Service Station.

BP:

"E10 is a grade of petrol that may contain up to 10% bioethanol. It is already sold in parts of Europe as well as the USA and Australia but not in the UK yet. Most vehicles produced since 2000 are able to run on E10 petrol. Vehicles that can run on E10 can also run on E5 petrol and, for new vehicles, will typically have both labels by the fuel filler cap.

E10 could be available in the UK in the future as a way of helping to reduce the carbon emissions from petrol vehicles and meet climate change targets."

Texaco:

"You are correct in saying that the E10 grade will be available in our service stations on the 1st September."

Shell didn't have a contact email so a quick call to their customer service revealed that they are not supplying any E10 at the moment and aren't announcing any specific roll-out date but are in consultation with the DoT.

My guess, from that, is that they're just waiting to see if the draft legislation goes through without amendment. Assuming it does, then they'll have to provide E10 from 1 September whether they like it or not.

Don't forget that Esso Synergy Supreme+ will continue to be ethanol-free as now in those areas that currently have it.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote