View Single Post
Old 13-03-2018, 05:27 PM   #619
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Swinging arm cleaned up Ok but enlarging the slots proved a little troublesome. I had originally intended to enlarge the holes (4) with a Dremel finishing with a file.
This was not really practical as I was unable to get the cutting disc to sit far enough proud of the Dremel collet to cut the slots at right angles to the face of the swinging arm. Two other issues made a Dremel impractical, the fibre/corundum cutting discs clogged very quickly with the aluminium and the diamond disc made it impossible to see the line I was trying to cut to. I had to resort to a file and it took a long time to file out 4mm on each side of the first adjustment slot. I managed to file the parallel bits on one leg of the SA Ok but have yet to file the rounded ends on that first side.
Tomorrow looks like more of the same.
One issue which I need advice on, when I removed the SA 3 shims fell onto the hydraulic bike lift bed, 2 about 0.020” thick and one about 0.010” (I am too old to be able to think in metric shim sizes – imperial no problem just a mental block with metric shim sizes).
I have no idea which shim came from which side. I am assuming that each side has the 0.020” shim but the thinner shim could have come from either side. How would you measure which side it came from? – what is the datum? – is it the vertical split line on the crankcase?
It may not matter that much as I suspect the frame is not made to a front to rear wheel alignment tolerance of c 0.020” but it would be nice to put it back the way it was built.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote