View Single Post
Old 10-02-2020, 09:35 AM   #2
Darkness

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by the lodger View Post
My front mudguard has split from the mounting hole to the edge ....about 1 cm. The mudguard seems fairly secure otherwise via the other 3 good fittings but it strikes me that I should have a go at repairing the crack. Is this a fairly common problem on these older bikes ? I seem to remember reading something about being careful with the fittings. Anyway what would be the best way to repair this ? Would my go to solution of superglue work on what I assume is plastic ? Thanks
Cracking at the mounting holes was a common problem on the earlier front mudguards, especially if unshouldered fixing bolts are overtightened crushing the part. A fix is to make some sandwich plates to span between the two fixings on each fork leg and glue these in place.

The mudguard design was changed (‘96ish?) to thicken the plastic at the mount. The mount is more wedge shaped, giving a smoother joint with the fork leg.

The next change was 2000ish when the brake calliper fixing bolts increased their centres and the mudguard mounting became two pairs of nylon bands. Those have different fixing centres from the earlier ones, though can be fitted if you make pairs of plates with three holes in each: one to bolt to just the fork leg, one to just the mudguard, and one to both the mudguard and the fork leg.