View Single Post
Old 19-03-2020, 07:09 PM   #25
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I don't think that the cleaning solution or the vibes will harm the plastic and rubber parts, but the temperatures that you are using might cause problems?
80deg is rather high, unnecessary and possibly harmful.
If you read the instructions/recommendations on the container of your carb cleaner (which should be ultra-sound specific) it will probably state an optimum operating temperature. I would guess about 50 to 60degrees. a few people I know who operate these cleaners, only run them at about 20deg. (I try and get mine up to 50.)

Also coupled with the high temps, if you are employing 30 minute blasts, your machine might not last as long as it could. The instructions state 15 minute bursts with a five minute rest between, probably for a good reason? Yes it does take at least 15 minutes longer to do an hour's session, but it does give the heater longer to do it's stuff, which you might be surprised soon raises the temperature, especially with the ultra-sound running.
It's okay to use the solution for multiple sessions and leave it in the stainless tank in between. All the muck goes into suspension in the fluid and any remaining on the surface of your part, is removed during the rinse in clean clutch and brake cleaner afterwards.

Dennis Menace, yes I was quite alarmed at the suggestion of Toluene too! Not only unnecessary to use a solvent in ultra-sound but dangerous too. A gentle detergent is all they need.