View Single Post
Old 03-06-2019, 06:59 AM   #10
Dilkris

OK - I am responding to 8 replies to this thread in one go - (Mr Gazza, Chris Yeatman, Nicki, Haloguy628, slob) - some of you responded more than once. I hope this is how the forum works.

Comments note about cam belt - do you really think the cam belt is likely to fail at slow/fast idle? Are they prone to fail? Looking at them they appear to be "oversized" for there duty - when comparing them to say the cam belt on a Lotus 502 Engine, or even indeed the final drive belt on a Harley. I read with interest checking injector operation by "finger feel" - I didn't think of that.

Battery is brand new - well - 4 weeks old now.

I have considered air lock in the tank - have tried starting with the tank cap open - there is also no "hissing" when opening the filler cap which is usually indicative of blocked venting.

Regarding voltages and voltage drop - searching google/utube I think all readings are within advised margins but I would say the battery is very much on the limit - after 3 failed starting cycles - it is struggling and needs time to recover.

Tank was removed and cleaned thoroughly - all "fixed lines" were blown out with compressed air and tank left in the sun for a couple of days prior to fitting the fuel pump, strainer, filter and new flexible fuel lines and clips. As discussed, I have separated and sprayed contact cleaner on all connectors prior to re-connecting.

haloguy628.... I am with you regarding injectors, but I will confirm operation, if not spray pattern etc as per Mr Gazza's comment prior to pulling them. As regards the ECU... this for me is the dark art of modern engines. I value your comments and
will look into downloading IAWDiag software and getting the cables so as I can use the diagnostic port to pull error codes from the ECU - but I won't lie to you and must admit - at this level of technical requirement, my enthusiasm is fading exponentially and I am rapidly loosing the will to live.

Probability is presently high that my wife is likely to get her garden ornament after all.

Personally? I believe I have sparks and fuel - but not at the right time. The engine ran fine, (only in the workshop note - I did not take her out). but the following morning she simply failed to start. Could it be a crank sensor problem? An ECU issue? But if so, why would they fail "overnight" whilst sitting in the workshop???

Fed up