View Single Post
Old 18-10-2016, 04:58 PM   #7
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Result: From the moment you start the cold engine, the improvements are noticeable. Easy starting settling into a steady tickover. Pulling away on the cold engine is super-smooth with the clutch fully home straightaway.

With a warm engine, power delivery feels smoother right through the rev range but the biggest and most noticeable improvement is at low speed in town where chain slap and transmission backlash is almost completely eliminated. This lets you get the most out of the previously improved fuelling permitting revs as low as 2,000-2,200 or 30 mph in fourth. I'm almost tempted to go back to standard gearing.

An added bonus is that the previously fierce engine braking has been tamed and gear changes, especially downshifts are much better as it's now easier to match up the revs.

It would have been interesting to try the flywheel before the other mods as I think it could have largely masked the poor fuelling.

Potential drawbacks of a heavier flywheel?

• Well, weight (obviously).
• If your battery/starting circuit is marginal, I suppose starting could be harder as more energy would be required to overcome the inertia of the flywheel.
• A less responsive motor at higher revs.
• If you're prone to banging down the gearbox from high revs, you're more likely to lock the rear as it is harder for the rear wheel to speed up the motor.
• In theory, the traction control might need recalibrating.

Conclusion

For the way I ride on the roads that I ride, this flywheel change has made a great bike into my perfect bike. It is now a joy to ride at all speeds on all roads.

I can't detect ANY drawbacks to this mod, just noticeable improvements in all the areas I wanted to improve.

I don't know if anyone else has tried this modification but I can thoroughly recommend it, provided you can find a cheap flywheel that is.

This mod may also work for the 796, which also has the lighter flywheel, but you'd have to confirm that before trying it yourself.

I hope some or all of the above may be helpful to any fellow Evo owners looking for smoother running.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote