Thread: Burnt Legs
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #5
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Air cooled Monsters run quite cool, at least mine does (same engine for SS models).

I have a 916 (similar engine to the S4R) and it runs considerably hotter than my Monster despite it being water cooled, it also warms up quicker. In all I think the water cooled bikes run hotter because it's they way it's designed to work - by having better temperature control it can run at a higher, more optimum temperature which is ultimately better for performance/economy/longevity/emissions etc.

Air cooled models generally over cool because they have to be able to cope with very high ambient temperatures in different climates etc. without having the benefit of better temperature regulation/control.

Ultimately, like it or not water cooling is a technically better setup, able to better maintain ideal conditions more easily and why most bikes are going that way.

916 can get quite uncomfortable in traffic - hot legs, thighs and arse and then when the fan cuts in you get a nice extra blast of hot air to your left leg...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote