View Single Post
Old 27-09-2012, 12:53 PM   #43
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Painting questions...

So, engine removed & bare frame now fully welded & cleaned up. Test fit of engine shows clearance around carbs etc is good and I'm ready for paint.

I'm thinking powder coat would be a better finish and will be doing frame, wheels and suspension hoop. A a couple of questions for those in the know;

My front wheel is new and so no bearings fitted - how best to protect bearing holes from paint?

Rear wheel is used and has bearings and cush drives, although I will be replacing both. I will remove the cush drives before paint as I can see removal being a job that could result in scratching but (returning to the first question re new wheel) would it be good to leave the bearings in to protect the bearing faces? Same applies to head bearing races in the headstock?

With the frame, I have heard horror stories of powder coating hiding frame numbers, thus making MOT etc a problem, how best to 'mask' the frame number?

Presumably a good powder coater would know all the above so can anyone recommend a good painter, preferably in the East Midlands (Leics, Notts, Lincs etc)? although I don't mind travelling for a quality job.

One more thing, there is a small tab on the right side of the frame near to the shock mount that looks like it maybe a problem to paint due to the small gap between it and the frame. Can anyone tell me what it's for and if I need it, or can cut it off for a cleaner look?

Pic of said frame tab;

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote