View Single Post
Old 18-07-2022, 06:47 PM   #12
spuggy

Bike: M900sie
Quote:
Originally Posted by slob View Post
have you tried the gates app?
I actually initially had high hopes for the Gates Carbon Drive app. As least as a backup/sanity-check. Especially when I noted that the CA Cycleworks packaging gave 90-110 Hz as acceptable ranges for the M900 belts.

My first read with the Gates app, on my first attempt, gave me 70Hz. Hence my question - the belts seemed about right to me. The originals were a heck of a lot looser than that when I got the covers off...

Last time around, with the belts a smidge tighter, I got readings from the Gates app of:

Nothing (quite often). And successive readings (of the same belt adjustment without changing anything) gave 250 Hz, 175 Hz. And 25 Hz. This despite as consistent a "plucking" of the belt as possible (used to own an electric bass many years ago - never expected that to be a transferable skill).

At which point I decided the Gates app really wasn't as useful as I'd hoped it would be. There's background electric motor noise that might be making it harder for it to get accurate readings. But that's non-negotiable after 9:00 AM or so. In the desert. In July.

I was tempted to use one of my Krikit gauges on the horizontal belt. But (a) there's no spec for that and (b) access to the vertical belt kind of a challenge without dropping the motor.
spuggy is offline   Reply With Quote