View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 11:38 AM   #11
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post

That wouldn't work, obviously, but the trail can be manipulated with different offsets on top and bottom yokes. (Provided the angles in the bores are correctly machined).
Norton did this with the late 850 Commandos, although I'm not sure which way they went.
Ducati also made bikes with adjustable steering head and offset: 916 models have an adjustable headstock where the bearings are in an eccentric carrier, having 2 positions; IIRC 24.5 degrees in the 'road' position and 23.5 in the 'race', however not many run the race settings (even in racing) as it upsets the bikes rock solid stability.

Similarly they offered adjustable offset yokes on some race homologation models (748R IIRC) but I think the general consensus with both adjustments was that they were normally only done in conjunction with longer swingarms etc. and not for road use.

Of course none of this relates to a Monster (unless you use a 916 type frame to build it from, or are big into customising?) as the parts are not interchangeable.

AFAIK Ducati saw no need to offer this adjustability on more recent (and more capable) models, having done all the messing about/adjusting etc. at great cost only to discover that one setting was generally better for all uses.

That said my Monster's steering is certainly more 'lively' than the 916, especially at high speeds where it can get a bit twitchy under circumstances where the 916 is as stable as you like, as such I wouldn't be looking to do anything to quicken it up...

Last edited by Dukedesmo; 06-01-2019 at 09:31 PM..
Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote