View Single Post
Old 06-11-2018, 04:29 PM   #795
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
I did a bit more fibre glass moulding today with 2 layers of 100g mat on one half of the split mould for the rear hugger, fly-screen, Ignitech enclosure and chain oiler reservoir.
I also spent some time trying to release the patterns from the front infill panels, chiselling out the wooden pattern from the mould. All the patterns had 5 coats of release agent but these just would not release from the mould. After a frustrating hour I set them aside as the job requires patience and a delicate touch (with a hammer and chisel?) and I only have about 40 minutes’ worth on a good day.
I am definitely not looking forward to trying to get the belt cover patterns out as I do not think they will come out with a chisel. I might try carefully splitting the mould with a dremel but I have a feeling this will only create more downstream work.
All this, of course, is adding to the hours to completion of the bike without actually making a lot of forward progress. Desperate to have something positive to show for the day I machined up 4 x carburettor heater blanking plugs from some 13mm aluminium hexagon bar and was quite pleased with the results, satisfyingly only 8g for all 4, before the edges were tidied up
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote