View Single Post
Old 28-09-2018, 10:57 PM   #724
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Good progress in the last couple of days, steering head bearings now in situ. My press did not work that well initially so an aluminium drift was used to get the outer bearings in about half way then pressed in the last bit.
The new bearings came with a pair of dust seals with a bonded on neoprene/rubber /viton lip seal for top and bottom which looked as if they would work well, but when I assembled it they were causing the steering to be too tight so it all had to come down again and just the original un-rubbered dust coverl was put back under the top stem nut.
The original rusty and pitted dust cover (seal is too strong a word for it) was treated to a wire brush in an electric drill, a hydrochloric acid bath (brick cleaner) and then given a zinc plating in my home brewed plant (15 minutes at 0.5 amps/12volts) and it came out rather well.

I also knocked up some aluminium nuts for the lock stops (saving more than the weight of one steel nut) but I am not sure which side of the cast lug on the bottom yoke they are supposed to go? I used 8mm x 30mm stainless grub screws for the lock stop “bolts” off ebay, (sorry Nasher).
I need to spacer the rear disc away 10mm from the wheel so I used a 25mm hole saw to create some spacers from the 10mm plate I have. The chances of me being able to turn 6 bushes on the lathe all the exact same thickness is very pretty remote so using this method at least I know the bushes are 10mm thick.

Lastly I turned down my solid 20mm titanium SA spindle. It was nowhere as near as bad to machine as the martensitic (?) stainless steel top hat bushes for the brake hanger. I could not find out what to use as cutting fluid so I used copious quantities of WD40 and probably did my lungs no good at all breathing the fumes as it vaporised when it touched the tip of the cutting tool.

The 10mm diameter spigot on the end of the SA spindle has a purpose which will be revealed in the next instalment.
I shall try to get the titanium spindle plated with the diamond hard carbon stuff when I have finished buggering about with the reason for the spigot.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote