Thread: Bikers 'Caught'
View Single Post
Old 26-03-2020, 11:24 AM   #4
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Well that's interesting because I was so tempted to go for a blast.
I heard that there were lots of bikes out doing the very same yesterday on a gorgeous day.
I even had the story ready that I was on my way to a mates allotment to help him out because he was old and wouldn't go himself. But I decided not to and went for long walk across the fields instead.

I did have a mental ride on Monday though. A good customer of mine insisted that I went and measured up his next job before what he saw as the inevitable lockdown. He is in Kent, I am in Norfolk.

It was a bit keen but bright and I did see the Spitfire fly out from nearby Biggin Hill, the very one that I watched being restored on a programme Luddite told me about. (Nice.)
I tried to set off home before 4pm so I would be home before the temperature started to plummet. (nearly managed that) I filled up at Birchanger on the M11 and proceeded to get my head down for Norfolk with the air already getting bracing. The Sun was silhouetting the signs and the slow lane was full of lorries and I was "pressing on"....
So some miles ahead it all became unfamiliar! I'd only overshot the all important A11 sliproad! Damn! No turning back! Only option (with no map or satnav) was to carry on to Huntingdon, which I managed after another wrong turn.
I did manage to get home via Wisbech and the A47, but Spring day had turned into frosty night. (I got gritted twice!) I was shivering so much I was doing a Foggy wiggle, I only lifted the front wheel a couple of times. Well at least the Monster was going great with new Exactfit belts and oil.. She always looks after me.. Just hope the speed cameras turned the other way.
350 miles in all and bloody perishing for the last 100 or so, but a brilliant ride..

Last edited by Mr Gazza; 26-03-2020 at 11:26 AM..
Mr Gazza is offline   Reply With Quote