View Single Post
Old 04-04-2015, 09:37 PM   #1
Andy B

Bike: M900
'97 M900 long-term refurb'

Hey guys,

finally at the stage where i'm happy-ish with the ol' girl, so thought i'd add her up to the gallery section This is going to be quite a drawn-out refurb - the plan is... well, was - to not do anything to her apart from a few minor alterations and just enjoy it for this summer - wanted to concentrate on my Guzzi rebuild - but didnt quite go to plan...

Bought her in February as quite a tatty old thing - hell, it still is.. but i'll get around to that...

it was a early birthday present for the girlfriend - we had a pair of bandits a couple of years back that i'd rebuilt, but sold them both to go travelling Australia and S.E Asia and we said we'd upgrade to some Italian twin's when we got back... I got an old 80's Guzzi whilst she wanted the Duc...

So I found this Gem on ebay one friday morning! 1997 M900 supposedly 6000mi on the clock (although i suspect the clocks have been changed at some point...) MOT'd till september - ride it away jobbie for 1200 quid! (oh and a spare seat chucked in too- bonus )

went to see it on the saturday, deposit paid and rode it home on the sunday morning!

It was very tatty but all the right bits were there... Carbon panels, braided brake & clutch lines, adjustable showas, ally swing arm, rear seat cowl, remote brake/clutch resevoirs (not a fan of the coffin style) speedo & Tacho, expensive looking blinkers... but plenty of bodge to go with it...

Found out this lovely bit of wiring was the live feed to the rear brake light switch - the original switch was swapped out for a universal type switch that had a bodge bracket holding it to the pillion pegs/zorst hanger and some mig wire wrapped around the foot lever...

and the rear lights wiring was just as bad!

So it starts

Exhaust was first...

cleaned up well..

Starter motor live terminal was corroded on solid - starter spinning and knackered the brushes inside... gah!

starter motor off! pig of a job but turned out to be a blessing in disguise...

Replacement ordered...

in the meantime, the push throttle cable was knackered so new pair ordered, battery was goosed... new motobatt ordered... started to clean the carbs only to find mixture screws seized.... new carbs ordered... this is getting expensive!!!
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote