Thread: My M750 Rebuild
View Single Post
Old 15-10-2015, 08:24 PM   #72
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
I have risers fitted on my yr2000 750 and no fouling issues ..though the shock is a Nitron so its not precisely the std set-up.
I think your analysis that you may either have something mis-assembled, or an odd mix of mongrel parts, sounds like a sensible one.

I'm not certain, but I think the linkage geometry works out that the shock gets compressed 'from both ends' as the load is applied.
I have a notion that one day I might get round to plotting out the movement of the suspension linkage through its full range of movement, but ....
I did try once but came unstuck as its difficult to accurately measure all the relevant dimensions on the bike.
I now have an alternative plan which involves making a measuring device to replace the shock (basically two tubes, one inside the other, with a mounting at each end and a scale marked on the inner tube).
The plan is to fit that, then move the suspension in increments, noting the shock deflection at each point.

I'm not too surprised by your unexpected findings that more preload was necessary after fitting the risers, Gazza.
Not that I would necessarily expect that precise result but the relationships within the geometry are unlikely to be as simple as you might think at first sight.

I guess that really, I should have done my geometry investigations BEFORE fitting the Nitron but as you say, lots of folk have fitted them without problems ...and sometimes life's too short.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote