View Single Post
Old 25-01-2017, 11:39 PM   #72
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Looks really tidy now.
Like somebody cares for it.
Well done.

I'm quite interested in dark VHT "cast iron" paint on the outer cases (I assume its VHT SP997 - engine enamel .. ?).
Now that I see it in situ, it looks rather like the finish on my alternator cover (which JHP refinished for me when my battery slobbered over it).
I never knew what paint they used, and I think they've forgotten, but maybe now I've tracked it down.
If it is the same, its a nice looking finish and mine still looks as good today as when it was done, nearly 10yrs ago.
I'd like to match it on the clutch cover side ... which is pretending its not bubbling but I can see what's on its mind.

And also ..
On the photo from the front, right hand side, I think I can see your alternator multi-connector with its 3 yellow wires, looking very exposed.
I think it perhaps originally lived inside the nearby grey plastic pod (I removed mine years ago).
Those connectors are a massive Achilles heel in the charging system.
Mine got wet when my battery slobbered as previously mentioned .. reg/rec blown etc.
Some time later, when relocated in the dry, it still managed to fuse itself into a blob one day.
I have now hard-wired that connector (which goes from alternator to reg/rec) using tubular butt-crimps covered and sealed with hot-melt glue-lined shrinktube.
I'd recommend either that, or an uprated and waterproof connector.
I wouldn't leave it as it is.

Last edited by utopia; 25-01-2017 at 11:41 PM..
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote