View Single Post
Old 28-11-2018, 08:26 PM   #816
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Utopia thanks for thinking of my wallet unfortunately you are too late!

I bought 10m of carbon fibre about a year ago from Easy Composites, it was the weave most used for cosmetic applications and if I recall correctly was towards the top end of their pricing schedule.

About a month ago I did a little evaluation of how much I was actually going to need to complete all the components. I think the tank will take about 7 linear metres in all with the top, bottom and internal baffles (6 or 7 laminations). With the seat, rear hugger and fly-screen at 2 to 3 linear metres each, I have probably over provisioned when I ordered another 10m. This time however I bought what EC market as “black stuff” which is still carbon fibre but which has a small defect in the weave, and therefore cannot be certified for structural applications (F1 body tubs or suspension components etc.). It was about half the price. The intention was to use this for the second and subsequent laminations.

The moulds that were damaged when I took the patterns out were the belt covers, the rear sprocket cover, the headstock infill panels, the breather catch tank /chain oiler reservoir and the battery box. In total the area of carbon fibre I need to cover these components with 3 laminations would not be more than 0.5 linear metre.

With the exception of the battery box which will be hidden under the tank and behind the headstock I spent a lot of time and effort getting all the other patterns to a polished finish. I was extremely disappointed when the moulds were damaged as I knew that repairing them with filler was always going to show in the gel coat of the finished component as the gel coat picks up and amplifies the slightest imperfection and even the change in texture of the filler compared to the mould gel coat.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote