Thread: Evo fork oil
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2020, 06:53 PM   #27
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
I would definitely recommend taping up the nipples, Ryan. It's not too messy if you take a few precautions.

Remove the pads (to avoid any risk of contamination) and then remove the calipers. Hold the caliper over something to catch any drips.

Before you push the pistons back, use the MityVac to suck out most of the fluid from the reservoir, otherwise there's a danger of fluid spilling out of the reservoir.

Before you remove the nipple, have a pre-taped M6 screw handy to plug the hole. (If you don't have any in your spares box, just pinch one from the bike - the reservoir handlebar clamp screws are M6). Spin the nipple out and quickly replace it with the M6 screw - just two or three turns by hand should be enough to seal it. You shouldn't lose more than a few drops of fluid if you're quick.

When you tape the thread, don't forget to wind it round clockwise so it doesn't come undone when you screw the nipple back in. If any fluid has leaked on the caliper, clean it if straight away to avoid any staining.

I pumped the MityVac up to -50 kpa before cracking open the nipple. It worked so well, I had to keep a really close eye on the reservoir because the fluid was being drawn through so quickly.

Hope it works for you too.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote