View Single Post
Old 21-03-2020, 04:08 PM   #1196
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Well the cable support certainly proved challenging, a right PITA in fact.
In order to get on with shortening the limbs of the loom I need the MU unit to be positively fixed and the cables to it to be held firmly in place. The MU unit relies on small grub screws clamping on crimped aluminium tails pushed into the unit. It is not satisfactory from an installation standpoint (one connection has already parted with all the manipulation the wiring has had over the last week whilst I decide where each wire will be routed) and, once running, I think the vibration etc will reek havoc with those connections when I eventually get to ride it.
I wanted something light and simple that held the cables in place and would be vibration resistant. The complication were the space envelope it had to occupy and it had to be something I was physically capable of making.
After the best part of 10 hours here it is:

the base is made from 1 mm aluminium with 2 lengths of 12 mm x 12 mm x 1 mm aluminium angle pop riveted on either side. It had to be 12 mm to move the MU unit away from the head stock tubes and allow a reasonably straight entry for the cables into the locating grub screws. 12 mm was however too deep so the Mu unit had to be spaced off the base plate, accordingly 2 x 6mm thick bosses were aluminium soldered to the base plate.
Not shown but on each side some closed cell draft excluding foam will be glued to the angle attached to the base plate and to the inside of the two clamps (also made of 12 x 12 x 1 mm aluminium angle with one side cut back to 3mm).
4 x 4 mm aluminium rivnuts were attached to the base plate angle and 4 x 4 mm SS button head socket screws will clamp the cables up into the foam,
It took a long time and I think it will work.
Here it is in position under the ignition switch.

I retired too cold to continue today but the wiring can continue next week, but for one thing, my son's car failed MOT and now he is back from university he wants to out driving it so I have 10 days to weld up the rear trailing arm hanger bracket or pay the MOT fee again. I think quite a lot of fabrication work is required plus more than a few hours lying on the cold floor. I really hate working on cars.
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote