View Single Post
Old 09-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #4
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossleymonster View Post
Also, if you're softening the rear from what is 130 on an 1100s to a 105 where are you at with the front?
I find my front unpredictable, worse than an old VFR we used to run around on.
Hi, Al

I'm about the same weight as you, 80kg with gear, so in theory, depending on personal preferences of course, my settings should also work for you.

Because the Evo forks were so unresponsive, I followed chris.p's example and had them completely rebuilt by Ktech with 8.5N/mm springs and new damper units. Chris's thread shows what work was carried out http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=51391

As I understand it, the springs on your Öhlins are 7.5N/mm, which are about the lightest I've come across, so they should give a pretty compliant ride. Travel on the Öhlins is given as 130mm.

If you think the springs are wrong, then alternatives are available from 6.5 - 11N/mm (part numbers are 04744-65 to 04744-11 - the last two digits are the spring rate), but I'd have thought that 7.5 should be fine for your weight. As I mentioned above, I'd like to try 7.5N/mm myself but can't find any to fit the Evo forks.

I think the standard oil in your forks is 7.5w whereas Ktech put a lighter 5w in mine so you could try that to improve responsiveness. If you're thinking about increasing the air gap, the standard setting (for the Öhlins) is 140mm without spring and sleeve.

The 1100S forks are a modified version of the FG43 model, which has a good reputation, so I'm sure you can get them working to your satisfaction with a bit of fine tuning.

Let us know what changes you make and how you get on.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote