View Single Post
Old 08-06-2018, 05:59 PM   #2
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Result

Just been out for a blast around some favourite backroads with a variety of surfaces including some washboard tarmac, which is always a good test of a suspension setup.

I'm pleased, (read 'relieved'!), to report that it's a noticeable improvement. I've not set the sag properly yet but as soon as you sit on the bike you can feel it's more supple. And over the bumps, it's definitely more compliant with no kicking back.

The original Sachs was awful on these roads - my glasses would bounce off the bridge of my nose at speed. The 115N/mm was a great improvement but this softer spring is better still with barely a flicker fronts the traction control light under acceleration.

I tried upping the pace a bit to check for any downsides and couldn't detect any weaving, wallowing or bottoming. I guess if you ride particularly hard or frequently carry a pillion then the 115N/mm might be a better bet.

Ideally, I'd like to try some 7.5N/mm fork springs like in the Öhlins of the 1100S, but I can't find any suitable for the Evo's Marzocchis. I've currently got 8.5N/mm Ktech springs in, which are the softest they do. If anyone knows anyone who does 7.5N/mm springs for the Evo, please let me know. It's a strange setup on the 1100S - soft at the front and really hard at the back (130N/mm). If any 1100 owners want to try a 115N/mm spring, let me know.

Apologies to Mossleymonster - if I'd done this sooner, he could have had my old 115N/mm spring cheap!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote