View Single Post
Old 09-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
The air-cooled, 2-valve monsters are a delight to tinker with. Access is excellent and, though valve clearances are a bit tricky to set, everything else is pretty simple.
I can't really speak for the 600, but I can say that the 750 is a lovely bike, and I'm still not hankering after changing mine for a bigger model after 6 yrs ownership. They are less common, but perhaps not quite as rare as you might think.
Also, I believe the 750s fall into the same insurance group as the 600s, so no forfeit there.
Either way, for preference, I'd be inclined to go for a late model, and benefit from their various development upgrades such as 3-phase alternator, external clutch slave, lighter wheels, etc. but its not a big deal.
The other question might be "carbs or injection". Carbs are simpler but will ice up in autumn/winter unless you dose the fuel with pro-fst. Injection avoids this but is more complex and any component failure could be difficult to trace and costly to fix.
As you point out, older monsters are good value biking these days, and particularly if you do your own servicing.
Whichever model you go for, be prepared to fall in love with it.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote